Thursday, March 31, 2011

Praying

I sat down this morning thinking about what I could write about prayer.  Prayer is so unique and individual to all of us.  I was asked recently if I pray daily.  I do.  Although, the more I thought of it I realize how I need to improve my prayer life.  At this point in time I would say that the majority of my prayer life is short simple prayers.  "God please give me patience."  "St. Christopher watch over us."  "Thank you God."  etc.  I am not as good at sitting down and meditating or saying a prayer more than 10 words unless we are at mass.  I am working on it.  Currently I am saying a Our Lady Novena.

I have been heard many times throughout my life that I need to extend my prayer life.  And I agree.  My struggle is, sometimes I don't know how to pray.  I know that there is really not a good vs. bad way to pray, we all need to adapt what is best for us.  It is just difficult for me to read a prayer (other than mass prayers) that was written by someone else.  Then when I try to sit down and pray in my own words I feel like I am making things up as I go (which I am).  I never thought I was unhappy with my prayer life.  I never really thought about it.  I do sit back now and know that I deserve more of a prayer life. 

So how do you pray?
What do you pray?
Where do you pray?
When do you pray?
Why do you pray?

No comments:

Post a Comment