Thursday, March 24, 2011

C- Catholic?

I have labeled myself a C- Catholic since my childhood.  I was blessed that CCD classes didn't give out grades.  I would have received a C-, that is if they gave points for attendance!

A bit about me and my Catholic life:

I was born and raised Catholic.  My parents regularly attended mass each week with us children up until they divorced.  After their divorce, mom would drop my sister, brother and I off at the church and pick us up an hour later.  When with dad, grandma and grandpa would pick us up about 45 minutes before mass to insure we were all there in time for them to lead the Rosary.  Sadly, my sister and brother are no longer Catholic. 

In my later college years and a few years following college I went on a sabbatical, only attending mass a few times a year. 

In general I would gage that I have a C- understanding of Catholicism.  I have to admit that I have never sat down and read the bible cover to cover.  I often get stuck in Genesis around the Patriarchs Isaac and Jacob.  My mind worries that I have to memorize all of this stuff, it gets scared and forgets to move forward.  I thought I was off the hook when I once "heard" if you attend mass every Sunday for 3 years, the Bible has been read to you.  I thought I won the Jackpot!!!  Then my husband tells me it is if you attend mass every day for 3 years.  I really need to look into if any of this is right!

So I know the basic bible stories, even a few odd ones.  I defiantly can't tell you where to find anything in the Bible.  So where does that leave me?  I am hoping at least C-, that is still passing right?

I am happily married to a convert.  My husband and I often have discussions on what is Catholic and what isn't.  We do have a Bible (actually 5 or 6 ) and a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.  We muddle through trying to figure it out on our own.  We attend mass almost every Sunday at The Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Denver, CO.  We really enjoy Archbishop Chaput's homilies so you will hear a lot about them in this blog.

I listen to a lot of Catholic Radio; EWTN and The Catholic Channel on Sirius Satellite Radio.  You will probably observe me borrowing topic ideas or referring to various shows. 

I want to improve my understanding of my faith and have the confidence in explaining it to others.  I decided to document my process and hopefully enlighten others.

No comments:

Post a Comment