Thursday, April 7, 2011

Reverance

I have seen a lot of discussion about reverence in the sense of what or who is more reverent. 
Some examples:
  • Is receiving the Holy Eucharist on the tongue more reverent than receiving in the hand?
  • Is letting the Holy Eucharist dissolve in ones mouth more reverent than chewing? 
  • Is genuflecting more reverent than bowing?
  • Is singing during mass more reverent than humming?
I could go on.  I have bought in to some of these arguments myself.  I sit back now and know that all of these are approved by the Church either way.  None of them are disrespectful.  While we should be as reverent as we can be, I am not a proponent of playing the game who is the most reverent.  We are all called to be Christ like, although for me to be more like Christ might not look the same as how you are called to be more like Christ.

One note:  Every priest I have observed chews the Holy Eucharist.  I don't know where or how to find it although I heard somewhere that when Jesus said "Eat this in remembrance of me" the translation of eat is chew.  If you are chewing or dissolving I am just grateful that you are receiving the Most Holy Eucharist!

No comments:

Post a Comment